Monday, April 5, 2010

Copyright Assignment

This first video from Teacher Tube is a student Snuggie Commercial. It was very entertaining! I assume it was a project to try to persuade someone to buy something. Some of the questions I had about this were whether or not it is ok to use someone else’s product, like a Snuggie, and use it in a video to endorse it. Logically, I don’t think Snuggie would mind if it promotes their product. The 4 second clip in the beginning says “Snuggie” and then wipes out. At first I thought that this was from a real commercial, but I think they just made it themselves. I think that it is ok because the multimedia project is done by a student for education purposes. If the students got the background music from a Snuggie commericial, they should cite that.

The second movie that I looked at was a Goosebumps movie. Get this, the whole one minute and 1 second was with the same green letters saying “Goosebumps” moving up and down with the Goosebumps music in the background. There is no source for this music. I think it depends on how a teacher uses it. If it is for instructional purposes I think it’s ok, like if the teacher uses it as a writing prompt to write about the mood or tone of the song. However, the song is more than 30 seconds, so there could be a violation problem. The teacher should cite where the song came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment